London's Carriage

London's Carriage
Adding a touch of British charm to Kansas City...

Tuesday

It's Amazing


Hi, and welcome to the first post of this blog.

Well, whats amazing is that after all these years of wanting to get a London Taxi, I have to wait until I come to live in the USA to buy one.
All the years living in London, and I finally have gotten myself one here right in the middle of the USA.
I was fortunate enough to find myself after many many months of searching for one that I was finally fortunate enough to buy from a great bloke who'd owned this particular vehicle for about 7 years, and loved the taxi, but unfortunately it was time to see it go for him, and his family.
The taxi is in fact a pretty rare vehicle as it's a "London FX4L" which basically means it's the limo version of the London FA taxi.
It's not a stretched limo, but it's fitted out with various luxuries not seen in the regular FX4/Fairways on the streets of London.

This is in fact one of 100 taxi's that were shipped to the USA in 1986 without engine, or gearboxes.
This is number 49 in the lineup.

They were then taken to Detroit where they were fitted out with a Ford Mustang 2.2 litre lump, and gearbox.
Much the same that engine that was fitted to the old Ford Granada's back in England, and Germany.

These taxi's are fitted with such luxuries as electric windows all around, and plush seating.

The radio which in this one is fitted in the driver's are can be turned on, and off in the passenger compartment with the touch of a switch.
At this time taxi's in London were not permitted to have radios in their vehicles, so as this sounds such an everyday thing that it's not worth mentioning to most, it was actually quite a luxury, well, dependent on what you're listening to I guess..

The picture added to this is the day the taxi arrived here.
It was certainly an exciting day to see it arriving.

Well, since receiving the taxi, I've done various things to iyt of which I will not in separate posts as this could go on for quite awhile.

However, I'll be interested to hear from yourselves if you have a London taxi, and if you certainly have an FX4L, and what number it is.

Thanks again for reading this, and I look forward to typing more posts as time permits.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment